MEDIA RELEASE 7:
THE TREASURE CHEST THAT KEEPS ON GIVING
April 28, 2016
WHAT IS TREASURE CHEST INC
Treasure Chest Inc. is a registered, independent, not-for-profit charity based in MelbourneVictoria, and championed by committed volunteers.
Treasure Chest Inc. was founded in 2006 by Pratika Lal, a woman who has undergone breast cancer twice and continues to undergo treatment. During her treatment time Pratika met a lot of women struggling with long wait times to complete their treatments, enduring hardships, confused over information, support and how to find it, losing hair and all the other indignities and struggles that come with diseases such as breast cancer. Pratika founded Treasure Chest Inc primarily to raise funds to support The Royal Women’s and Royal Melbourne Hospitals Shared Breast Services to provide equipment and resources to improve access to, and quality of, breast reconstruction services for patients undergoing beast cancer treatment in the Victorian public health system.
WHAT HAS TREASURE CHEST GIVEN?
Examples of the projects that have benefitted from funds raised by Treasure Chest Inc since it was founded are
- Scalp Cooling Cap Machines ($114,000). These caps not only improve patient comfort, but are considered to reduce blood flow to hair follicles during treatment and reduce the hair loss experienced during chemotherapy.
- Donations to RWH Foundation ($129,599)
- Liposuction canulas ($5,000)
- Information evenings for patients ($2,980.50)
- Women’s Health Victoria BreCan Bridge of Support ($15,000)
- Replacement part for tattoo machine ($1,250)
- Care Packages ( $3,000 ). Each Care Package is valued at over $1,500.00 and includes a Carer for up to 30 hours from Prestige In Home Care to assist with whatever services the patient needs.
- Support for a dedicated tattooing nurse; nipple tattoo equipment and training in UK ($35,000)
- Further information on projects we have worked on or are working toward can be found on http://www.treasurechestcharity.org.au/our_goals
RAISING FUNDS TO KEEP ON GIVING
Treasure Chest Inc. raises funds by holding two major events a year, the Men with Breast Intentions Dinner (this year on May 27 a Black Tie Ball will be held in honour of Treasure Chest Inc.’s 10 Year Anniversary- book here https://www.trybooking.com/Booking/BookingEventSummary.aspx?eid=190253
; and the Spring Lunch. In between events we also look for ways to get Treasure Chest in front of the general public and corporate world and we are constantly wowed, and feel continually blessed, by the generous people who choose to donate to Treasure Chest
ABOUT PRATIKA LAL, FOUNDER & CHAIR OF TREASURE CHEST INC.
Pratika Lal is founder and chair of charity Treasure Chest Inc.
Born in Fiji Pratika moved to Australia at the age of 15 years. She quit her life in Australia for a short stint to be with her mother in her last years of battling breast cancer. When her mother passed away Pratika returned to Australia and joined the Liquor industry.
Pratika comes from a family of women who have had Breast cancer, ovarian cancer or have the BRACA1 gene. In the last 10 years she has fought breast cancer twice going through 2 mastectomies.
Pratika is in the process of undergoing treatment for HER 2+ stage 2 invasive cancer.
FOR ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND TO REQUEST INTERVIEWS,
contact Brenda Bailey, 0497 803 086 or firstname.lastname@example.org